Wednesday, March 4th, 2009...11:50 pm
The Pinot crop of 2009
We finally had a good crop. I think that leaving longer than usual fruiting canes on the Pinot Noir when I pruned the vines in October worked. It is all we can do to get a half decent crop partly because it is such a low fertility variety and its made worse growing it here on the equator. I pruned the vines back to two 10 to 15 bud canes and left several renewals. The vines will now rest through to next October.
We have had very little rain this year and with clear skies and hot sunny days the fruit ripened much more quickly than expected. There was good sugar content, the ants had discovered this too. We took it in with Brix 21 on the 14th of February, a full two weeks earlier than in previous years. We had a TA of 1.25 and a pH of 3.0 and now after the fermentation it is at 3.3.
Here we with some of the basins of grapes coming into the winery. Then my girls look on as we put them through the crusher/de-stemmer. We were early morning so the must was nice and cool at 14 degrees centigrade. The fermentation took 6 days and its now been put in a 250 lts stainless steel vat with the malolactic culture. I will just need to keep an eye on the pH to make sure that its working.